Victoria D. de Sanchez Northern Virginia Annual Teacher of the Year Award 2013
Ana Mayra Irizarry-Vaughan
2013 Ana Mayra Irizarry-Vaughan Freedom High School, Prince William County, Virginia
Ana Mayra Irizarry-Vaughan, born in Ponce, Puerto Rico, was the daughter of an educator of more than thirty-five years. She decided she wanted to follow her mother’s path when she was six years old.
Mrs. Irizarry-Vaughn has a bachelor’s in Mathematics from the University of Puerto Rico and a master’s in Pure Mathematics. She has been a mathematics educator for more than 35 years, teaching all levels – from Algebra I for ESL learners to pre-calculus and Advanced Placement calculus. She taught her first seven years at the University of Puerto Rico and then grades seven to twelve in a private school for two years.
She and her husband moved to the U.S. in 1994 for his job and she returned to full-time teaching, first in California, where she developed advanced math programs and later in Florida, where she developed train-the-trainer workshops for pre-AP Math and AP Calculus, summer match camps and STEM one-week institutes. The AP calculus program she developed resulted in her school having the highest number of Latino students pass the AP calculus exam in the nation.
She then developed an AP Calculus program for Freedom High School . Passionate about their success, she devotes hours of time to her students tutoring them after school and on weekend.
Before her arrival, only one student had passed the exam now, more than 70% are passing
- I teach the curriculum to the highest standard.
- I make the curriculum relevant and fun for the students.
- I teach from the heart – not just the head.
- Math Department Chair at Freedom High School in 2011
- Implemented horizontal and vertical alignment between the math courses
- Developed an AP calculus program in a previous teaching position that resulted in her school having the highest number of Latino students pass the AP calculus exam in the nation.
- Panelist on the College Board that presented the national 2007 College Board Report
- Named 2005 Broward County (FL) Mathematics Teacher of the Year Award
- Named a 2005 and ’06 Florida Sunshine State Scholars Teacher of Excellence
- Conducted train-the-trainer workshops nationwide for middle and high school teachers
- Facilitated one-week institutes for STEM Initiatives and AP Calculus
(l-r) Cel Beltran (Board Member), 2013 Co-Winners Ana Mayra Irizarry-Vaughan and Myriam Lorenzo